Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Artwalk in Lancaster City

I've been trying to spread the word- about the lancaster city art scene..... People usually look at me blankly, like I'm not speaking English, or they say something about it being Amish country.

But First Fridays in Lancaster are exciting! Especially when it is nice out- with 40 galleries within walking distance and live music and art performances scattered throughout!

A couple of weeks ago I attended ARTWALK , an event that happens twice a year, which is like first friday except that it lasts a whole weekend!
Most of my pictures are at Gallery 141 (check out their website by clicking), a personal favorite of mine located on Water Street behind the A-plus.

Above right is a picture of local artist/musician, J.C. leaving his mark on the wall outside the gallery. Gallery 141 invites all its artist friends to paint a bubble in the underwater mural originally painted by Andrew Strode.I thoroughly enjoyed myself leaving my contribution to this Evolving Mural Project(right).


Below are some pictures of the movement performance by Kate of Catcow Yoga. What was most fun about this day is the way that J.C. and Kate combined their artistic activities as J.C. used her as inspiration for his 'bubble'.





































I did walk around to some other galleries and one that I really enjoyed was The Living Light gallery on Prince St. They have a wonderful variety of paintings and sculptures with very different styles and techniques with one thing in common, they are all very well done. Below are a couple of my favorites by three different artists but visit their website to see more by clicking on the name.
I love the orchids in this one. The style reminds me of Van Gogh.

I strive to create the light and dimension found in this abstract piece, in my own work.

And the serene beauty and skillful painting of this work caught my attention.

Another gallery on Prince Street that I enjoy is the Red Raven Art Company. This gallery had a lot of beautiful collages, prints, and watercolors out for art walk. Some of the ones I enjoyed were:


The piece with the birds was especially enjoyable in person. I think my favorite pieces were by this artist:
I guess what I'm saying is, Lancaster may be much smaller than philly, but I almost think its art scene is just as big!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

People often do shit like that when I talk about some of the AMAZING shows, events, and social groups that we have here in Cleveland.
Parade the Circle, the best free art museum in the country- we have several emergent artist communities- there is always a lot going on here.
I suppose you wouldn't guess it though.