Tuesday, March 18, 2008

This week's art


So I finished my first painting in oil. I painted with oils in college but never finished any paintings.... this one is going into the Fleischer Student Show this friday, not because I think it is great, but because there are cash prizes.

I have been working on a drawing too for the same show and I think there is a reoccurring problem with both- they are over worked. I am trying so hard to make them 3-dimensional and accurate, that they have lost the original personal sensitivity that came through me when I first looked at the models. For example, look at the picture I took of this same painting before I finished it:


I almost like this original better. I don't know. I have a lot to learn. I guess it is part of the process- working it and working it- even if the end result is uninspiring.

I will post my other painting for the show when it is finished tomorrow, and the drawing as well.

But if anyone is interested in seeing other art work i haven't finished over the years- my art scuttlebutt page has a gallery.

No comments: